Many people are not sure where to start developing new relationships and more satisfying social experiences. Austin is an active community full of free and paid groups, organizations, classes and events.
There is so much to do in this town and there are lots of people also looking for new friends. If you don’t make a friend, at least you might learn something new or maybe even have a little fun.
I have accumulated the following websites full of opportunities to meet new people in Austin. This list is by no means exhaustive, but I hope to inspire and jump-start your search!
- Meetup.com – there’s a group for everyone here. Knitters, rock climbers, book clubs, dog lovers, movie watchers, motorcycle riders…you’ll be surprised what there is a group for.
- Meetin.org – this is one group of people where members host events for socializing. Smaller and closer knit community than meetup, but still caters to many different interests.
- Young Active Professionals – Another socializing group that specifies members should be professionals and in their 20’s, 30’s or early 40’s.
- Volunteer Match – search for local volunteer opportunities all in one place.
- Sierra Club – this group is passionate about the environment and plans outings together like kayaking, bike riding, camping and hiking.
- Hill Country Outdoors – lots of outdoor events like the Sierra club but also includes indoor events like wine tastings and live music.
- Match.com – there are many dating websites out there, but I have just listed one. Match seems to have the most members and the most value for the price.
- Austin Sports & Social Club – baseball, basketball, soccer, bowling, kickball and more for all skill levels. Most of these teams just want to have fun together and make new friends.
- Exercise Friends.com – find a tennis partner, a running buddy, or just someone to keep you motivated and accountable. You might make a new friend too.
- UT Informal Classes
- Austin Community College Continuing Education
- Dougherty Arts Center
- Austin Museum of Art
- Galaxy Dance Studio
- Go Dance Studio
- Uptown Dance
- Book People Book Clubs
- REI Outdoor Activity Classes
- Whole Foods Cooking Classes
- Central Market Cooking Classes
- Austin Improv Classes at the Hideout
- Girl Guitar
- Strum Music School
- Austin School of Music
- The Stitch Lab Sewing/Craft Classes
- Yoga – free and donation based
- Austin Parks – Find a Park – people at the park are friendly and the park is free!
- Austin Free Events – this website owner is putting free events around town all in one place.
- Do512 – community events, live music, art galleries, and festivals can be found here.
This list of resources is included as a courtesy. I am not responsible for the information provided by these links, and I do not guarantee the outcome of visiting the websites listed on this page.