Many people are not sure where to start developing new relationships and more satisfying social experiences. Austin is an active community full of free and paid groups, organizations, classes and events.
There is so much to do in this town and there are lots of people also looking for new friends. If you don’t make a friend, at least you might learn something new or maybe even have a little fun.
I have accumulated the following websites full of opportunities to meet new people in Austin. This list is by no means exhaustive, but I hope to inspire and jump-start your search!
- Meetup.com – there’s a group for everyone here. Knitters, rock climbers, book clubs, dog lovers, movie watchers, motorcycle riders…you’ll be surprised what there is a group for.
- Austin Young Chamber’s YP Source – opportunities to volunteer and make connections for young professionals in their 20’s and 30’s
- Bumble BFF – the well known dating app is now helping make friendship connections through online profiles and messaging
- Austin Moms – local parenting resources and neighborhood mom groups
- Volunteer Match – search for local volunteer opportunities all in one place.
- Book Clubs at Book People – Several book clubs to choose from and all free.
- Austin Sierra Club – organized local outings and adventures with others passionate about nature
- Hill Country Outdoors – lots of outdoor get togethers like the Sierra Club but also includes indoor events like wine tastings and live music.
- Partners in Parenting – groups dedicated to connecting new parents
- Austin Sports & Social Club – baseball, basketball, soccer, bowling, kickball and more for all skill levels. Most of these teams just want to have fun together and make new friends.
- Exercise Friends.com – find a tennis partner, a running buddy, or just someone to keep you motivated and accountable. You might make a new friend too.
- Austin Newcomers – events for those new to town or just looking to make new friends
- Austin Community College Lifelong Learning
- Dougherty Arts Center
- The Contemporary Art Classes
- Austin Creative Alliance’s Now Playing Listings
- Austin Swing Syndicate
- Go Dance Studio
- REI Outdoor Activity Classes
- Central Market Cooking Classes
- Austin Improv Classes at the Hideout
- Girl Guitar
- Austin Parks – Find a Park – people at the park are friendly and the park is free!
- Free Fun in Austin – this website owner is putting free events around town all in one place.
- Do512 – community events, live music, art galleries, and festivals can be found here. Also check out their listings for specific communities, like gay.do512.com and do512family.com.
- Churches, Synagogues, Mosques, Temples, etc
- Gyms, Workout classes, Fitness groups
- Adopt a dog from a shelter like Austin Pets Alive and then mingle with other dog loving people at dog parks around the city
This list of resources is included as a courtesy. I am not responsible for the information provided by these links, and I do not guarantee the outcome of visiting the websites listed on this page.